Name:
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada

Born in Malta but in Canada since age 5. Has written three books and presently does several columns about wine and food for various magazines.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

New Wine Picks Make This An Interesting Month

Every agency must think that its wine is simply the best! This is a must if you are honestly going to do business with the general public---advising them, along the way, that their money is better spent on your products or at least the products that you represent.
I get sent many sample products through the course of one year. Those that I like, I will write about and if really impressed, will shout out at the top of the tallest building. If I'm not, I simply do not write about it. Negatives are usually very subjective so who am I to down rate a wine that has been sent to me in good faith. I leave that ultimately to the consumer. Here are some of my best picks that I have tasted over the last couple of weeks.
Shouting From The Roof Tops!
2007 Ontario Wine Vintage
The best season that Niagara (and Ontario) ever had. I have tasted many wines including powerful reds from Jackson Triggs, Delaine Vineyard and Inniskillin. Other vineyards such as Reif, Pillitteri, Maleta, Stonechurch, Peninsula Ridge, Cave Spring Cellars, Clos Jordanne, Malevoire, Kacaba and Crown Bench, are reporting magnificent wines.
In Prince Edward County, Norman Hardie, Longdog, Waupoos, By Cadsey's Cairns, Dellgato Estates, Black Prince, The Grange and Huff are all experiencing great wines also.
While I have not tasted Lake Erie North Shore/Pelee Island, I can be quite sure is saying more of the same.
A truly a magnificent vintage and one for red (and white) wine lovers to keep eyes out for. The best wines will live for years.
Luigi Bosca Malbec Reserve 2005 (LCBO #79293)
Darren Siddorn of Pacific Wines and Spirits emailed me this wine which scored a 91 (Wine Enthusiast Magazine). You would assume that it would be in the $25 to $30 range! Wrong!!! $15.00 Canadian is all that you pay for a wine that is high in concentration (14% Alcohol) and exceptionally classy. Soft, yet with the tannins to age many years it is dark red with pepper, spice, cherry, raspberry on the nose and coffee, blackberry, chocolate on the palate. A pleasure to drink and a great match with game, steak, beef. I did some research and on some U.S. websites the wine is on "Sale" at $17.99 down from $22.00.
Bargain----some stores (LCBO's are out so head for the nearest).
Yelling From The Top Steps
Francis Ford Coppola Pinot Grigio 2006 (LCBO #56424)
Craig de Bois of Lifford Agencies came over with a winner in my books! I'm not a great Pinot Grigio fan but this wine at $15.30 amazed me with its fruit and roundness in its body. Maybe its the Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay blended in to add complexity. I enjoyed every sip!
Black Anvil Cabernet 2006 (LCBO #45575)
Also from Lifford, this wine gives great power at bargain prices. $12.70 gets you loads of black cherry, blackberry, plum and pepper. Definitely for meat eaters but will suffice (and is inexpensive enough) to have with pizza dishes.
Leaping Horse Merlot 2005 (LCBO #613265)
Leaping Horse is one of my choices when someone asks me for an excellent yet inexpensive wine to drink either by itself or with food. The wine is an adapter to almost any meal. Being 80% Merlot helps but the Cab Franc and Syrah blended into the fold certainly add a great deal to make it an immediately pleasing wine. $12.25 gives you plum and blackberry up front and in your face. Burgers, Beef, Stews!

Waving From The Deck
Francis Ford Coppola Rosso Shiraz 2005 (LCBO #57034)
I was puzzled when I first tasted the wine because I did not read the label before I tasted. I kept on saying I taste some Zinfandel but it says Shiraz.
Note#
I spoke about this with Craig de Bois who said that in order for a varietal to be labeled as such would require at least 75% of that grape to be used in the blend. I checked with the Francis Ford Coppola website which states that the Rosso & Bianco Shiraz is made from 95% Shiraz and 5% Viognier. Don't know where the Zin came in but maybe my buds were off that day. Regardless, Whatever the taste, it's nice easy drinking with pizza or with bugers at $15:30.