Name:
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada

Born in Malta but in Canada since age 5. Has written three books and presently does several columns about wine and food for various magazines.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Direct From Hadsten House In Solvang, California: Final

How quickly time has gone! This will be my last message to you from Solvang, California but not the last you will hear about this great area from me since I will be putting my thoughts down in a magazine article due for Christmas 2008. The magazine, East of the City, is a terrific publication that is part of the Metroland News Empire and this particular article will be available East of the Toronto Area in Ontario, Canada. However, those mentioned will receive a copy via me when it comes out.
Yesterday saw us visit, once again, Monty Roberts' "Flag Is Up Farms" where we all sat in on Monty's beginning class seminar on the care of horses. The three hour seminar given by Monty was very informative and it would have been nice to join those attending for the rest of the week. There were horse breeders, riders, competitors, ranchers from all over the world (Chile, South Africa, Germany, Canada, England, Holland) as well as many parts of the United States. The message was one of non-violence in the keeping and training of horses. I was surprised to learn that Monty has centres of this type all over the world. It is good to see that his message is being spread and is succeeding.
We later went down to Fess Parker's Winery in Los Olivos and met with my friend Jack Sparrow. He always introduces himself as the "real" Jack Sparrow and not Johnny Depp. Jack put Darlene and me through a wine tasting extarordinaire. He brought out several bottles of Fess's wine: Ashley's Vineyard Chardonnay, Viognier, Ashely's Pinot Noir, Fess Parker's SB County Syrah and Rodney's Vineyard Syrah. Of course he knew that Rodney's was one of my favourites and it never fails to please.
Any who are going to visit this area must take in Fess Parker's Winery and if possible visit with Jack Sparrow whose polite and gentle voice reflect the gentleman he is!
From there we went out to lunch at the Los Olivos Cafe where I met with Sam Marmorstein to discuss ways of getting some of his Ber Nat Syrah to my abode in Ontario (a town just 30 miles east of Toronto called Whitby). I had my usual, the Los Olivos Burger while the teens survived on their usual which was Chicken Tenders and salad.
Since this was our last full day before going to Santa Barbara (We leave on Wednesday August 6th) to spend our night we decided to take it easy for the rest of day.
Our agenda for today, August the 5th will see us visiting our friend, Amber at the Nojoqui Ranch just off Hwy 101 South in Buellton. Amber and her family have a ranch there that has been within the family for over 100 years. They breed some very fine Reining and Cutting Horses and Amber also competes. She just came back from Texas from such a competition. Amber is also a Veterinarian It will be good to see her again though we're getting this done by the "skin of our teeth."
That will mark the end of our stay in Solvang and after a brief stay at the Sandman /Motel Hotel, we will be off to San Francisco and then Canada.
My thanks go to many for making this trip a good one. First and foremost I would like to thank Mr. Bill Phelps, General Manager of the Hadsten House. I met Bill two years ago and we became instant friends. Bill is the kind of guy who will go 150% to ensure that anything he does or that you are doing succeeds. He has a knack for making the right decisions at the right time and never ceases to amaze me the the tireless energy and enthusiasm he has for his work. Always coming up with ideas of how to do it better, he is a leader in his field and I value my association with him. Everything that Bill touches seems to pan out very well and as I can see with Hadsten House, he has succeeded once again!
My plus also goes to the staff of Hadsten House from his managers such as Cassandra and Michael to those who cook the fine meals to those who prepare and maintain the rooms, all I can say is: "Job well done!" To the Hadsten House I leave with one comment: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
I would also like to thank
I would also like to thank all those who either directly or indirectly made this trip enjoyable:
Hadsten House, Bill Phelps, Los Olivos Cafe, Sam Marmorstein, Red Barn, Musterseed Restaurant, Paula's Pancake Cafe, Firestone Winery, Fess Parker Inn, Fess Parker Winery, Quicksilver Ranch, Monty Robert's Flag Is Up Farms, Andrew Murray Wines, Solvang Grocery Store, Valley View Farms, Refugio State Park, Santa Ines Mission, City of Los Angeles and last but not least, the wonderful people of Solvang, Californian.
Thank you and as your Governor says: "I'll Be Back!!!"