Name:
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada

Born in Malta but in Canada since age 5. Has written three books and presently does several columns about wine and food for various magazines.

Saturday, July 26, 2008

A Fitting End To a Crazy Week

I mentioned in my last posting that this week, aside from a few excellent happening, has been rather nuts! I left you with my last entry saying that I was getting up at 4 AM to get my daughter to her competition at Palgrave just a few minutes north of Bolton.
Things went pretty much the way I expected. A mad rush to collect all riding gear as well as making breakfast for my daughter while at the same time trying to organize my own thoughts at that horrid time in the morning.
We basically got off without a hitch and arrived at the Rossland Stables where coach Cynthia Frise gives Taryn her lesson. Cynthia is a great no nonsense coach who has a soft touch for animals of all kinds whether they be the tiniest of kittens or the largest of horses. Taryn respects her dearly and Cynthia can do no wrong. Taryn has it quite "on the button" in this case as Cynthia is a tremendous coach and a great role model for not only Taryn but all the other young girls in her care.
I'm getting a bit off topic here but that needed saying! We arrived at the stable and within a short time we were off with the group----horses and all----to The Equestrian Centre in Palgrave.
This Centre is massive with numerous riding rings as well as other facilities for Jumping, Hunter Jumper and other events concerning the equine trade.
Taryn got through her main "over the fences" well and placed 8th out of 35 competitors in the second round. She also placed within the top ten of the group in a riding skill event called the "Hack". Considering this was her first "A" level competition (think Royal Winter Fair) she did great! Many do not reach this level of competing and many who do, do not "Pin" or receive an award. So she did well and experience should get her the advancement she wants.
Things went well until about twenty minutes or so after when the clouds started to roll in just before the "Hack" event was to take place. I walked over to the "ring" and found my wife, Darlene, talking away. It began to "spit" rain. The question was would thunder sweep into the picture? It did! Would lightning? It flashed! Would the weather get worse?
In one fell swoop, it rained so hard that even though we were under a tent, the rain and subsequent hail was pushed into the tent sideways and it seemed from all sides! Darlene, the others and I were soaked but the weather did not relent. We endured this vicious storm for a full ten or fifteen minutes during which time the ground underneath us turned into a river and the tent wanted to fly away. The hail was so cold, pounding at my back, that my back started to spasm. When it ended, I took my soaked body and changed my shirt but my pants had to stay on since I did not have any other available. Darlene was not as badly soaked as me so she just contended with a bit of moisture along her legs. It was the worst storm that I have seen short of a hurricane that came my way several years ago.
After the "Hack" Darlene and I left as we had a number of things to arrange prior to our trip to California. I had to collect my dry cleaning, finish some clean ups around the house and also and most important, attend my daughter Marisa's 30th Birthday Party.
On arrival, Taryn left me a message that she would not be in until at least 9 PM from Palgrave. I was not amused. I then left to collect my cleaning. The place was closed! I was not happy. I came home to check my other work and I had found much of it in disarray. I was pissed!
This is not how I saw my week prior to leaving on a 10 day working vacation unfold.
Tomorrow will be full of rush packing, cleaning and God knows what else. And guess what? On Monday we don't have to be up at 4 AM.-----not at all! We need to be up at 3 AM!
So enough belly aching! To leave you with a positive note, here are the best things that happened this week.
Best Meal Of The Week!
No contest here, it was the steak dinner that I had at Fazio's. I still say that people should take advantage of his "Canada Day" specials!

Best Wine Of The Week!
Another no contest, the star was definitely the Parker Station Syrah that I shared with Darlene. It is tops in my best buy category since it oozes concentration, delicious fruit and tremendous flavour.

Best Sandwich/Breakfast of the Week!
By far, it was the Bacon, Egg with Cheese served on a huge crusty bun at the Palgrave Equestrian Centre. My mouth waters when I think of it!

Best Horse Of The Week!
Of course, it has to be Taryn's mount "State Of Attraction"----at least it was her name until she renamed her "Worth the Wait"! Why, I don't know! But-------!!!! By any other name, a rose smells as sweet and this horse is special.
Now to be fair, I saw some magnificent performances from the event champion, "Lexington" owned by Cassidy Holt and event reserve Champ, "Sebastian" owned by Vicky Franker. They are sister competitors and stable mates at Rossland Stables and show the quality of coach Cynthia is.

Coach of the Week!
Cynthia Frise, celebrated her birthday this week as well as 20 years at the Rossland Stables. All I can say is------our gain!!!

Competitor of the Week!
Taryn Byers! Not only does she spend much of her time at the stables doing jobs etc. but she is up at 4 AM----hate that time-----when she has to! She was up much of last week and weekend and continued on to this week!

Friend of the Week!
Victoria Delsnyder! Taryn picks her friends very carefully and Victoria is always at her side helping! While they sometimes act silly and why shouldn't they since they have a right to at times, they accomplish much and Victoria is truly a remarkable girl.

Complainer of the Week!
I make "House" look like a saint! I complain continually and expect high standards from all around me! I expect the same high standards from my self! In other words. I am a truly, anal, pain in the ass! But------someone has to be one!

I will try to keep up my blog while I'm in Sunny California! If not, see yah soon!