Name:
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada

Born in Malta but in Canada since age 5. Has written three books and presently does several columns about wine and food for various magazines.

Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Week Before California

I remember the old series "Lost in Space" whenever the antagonist, Dr. Smith, had an overwhelming moment or two or three, he would say: "Oh! The Pain! The Pain!" That's the way I felt these last few days-----preparing (or trying to prepare) for my vacation/assignment for Solvang, California.
They started off well with a fine lunch with my old friend Tino Fazio and his lovely daughter. I shared a bottle of Espirtu de Chile----a nice Cabernet Sauvignon ($11.95) though I had to survive the teasing about bringing a "screw cap" to have with his fine food (I had a great steak)! However, it was only teasing since Tino was well aware of the trend to using "screw caps" on even the finest wines. While the jury is still out on the long term advantage/disadvantage of using these caps, the short term means no more "corked" wines and no other difference. Tino and I enjoyed the wine and food and made plans to do this again. I'll surprise him with one of my older wines next time.
I left Fazio's with a mind full of things that I had to do from cleaning up around the house and getting the garden maintained prior to leaving for ten days to making sure the details regarding the trip were all handled.
Working vacations (if you call them that) can be a veritable nightmare to arrange-----especially if your family and a friend are going with you. However, couple that with a daughter, Taryn, who's so involved with her competitive riding (Hunter/Jumper) that she schedules her attendance of about 7 competitions all over Hell's Half Acre----the last one being one day before our departure.
The time that she had to attend these competitions would be well received by an insomniac but to the few who enjoy a night's rest is sheer terror. Over the last week I heard the familiar phrase, "Dad, make sure I'm up at Four!!" That is Four in the MORNING folks!!!
The last few days have been sleep deprivation city and then I had the massive fun of cutting lawns, trimming the hedge, weeding the garden, clipping the grapevines, cleaning the house, preparing my articles, meeting new clients, transporting Taryn to her other "Barn Chores", tasting new wine products and making notes, answering my emails, keeping a checklist regarding the trip, confirming meetings both here and abroad and somewhere get some sleep (I'm sure Ive forgotten several other items).
When it's all over, I am very sure that I will feel that it was all worth it but at the moment (I see it is 12:15 am now) I don't think I'm making any headway since I have to wake up Taryn at----Yep! You guessed it------4 AM!
I am sure, that once I get to Solvang, a lovely Californian community started over 100 years ago by Danes, I will be very happy and relaxed----if but for one thing--------in order to catch the flight I need to wake up at----------4 AM!!!!