Name:
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada

Born in Malta but in Canada since age 5. Has written three books and presently does several columns about wine and food for various magazines.

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Direct From Hadsten House In Solvang, California: Never A Dull Moment

Hadsten House has been voted the best hotel in Solvang by "Tripadvisor", an Internet Website! Now to be fair to the other hotels in the area, I have only stayed in Hadsten House but judging from the quality of service and friendly faces, I can believe that title. Friend Bill Phelps introduced me to this lovely resort last year when it was going through renovations and there was little persuasion in my decision to stay here this year.
The rooms are not only comfortable but very convenient. No surprises exist and they seem to be very sound proof as my very pleasant sleep can testify. Bill is also very gracious in allowing me to use his computer while on my stay.
Mornings always begin with Hadsten House Buffet Breakfasts. The coffee is full flowing the the bacon, sausages and scrambled eggs ever present. For those who like other items there are Danish Pastries, Oatmeal, Home Fries and a selection of juices. I always say "Today I will cut down on my eating." However, it never fails. I can't resist the food! It is delicious.
While I have not eaten other meals here, I have come in while they were being served and they look simply marvellous. The distinctive European syle of the buildings, classic French furnishings, fireplaces and other features such as the Spa and Pool are unique. This is a place that for sure, I will come to every time I'm going to stay in the area.
Yesterday the gang and I decided to take some picts at Lake Cachuma which has lovely Nature cruises, incidentally. The two hour rides are simply great for any naturalist. Later on in the day we decided to visit the Miniature Horse "Quicksilver Farm" in nearby Los Olivos and then ate our late lunch at the Mustard Seed Restaurant in Solvang.
The day before, we visited Fess Parker's Inn for a "Sing Along". Fess and Marcy could not attend but the capable piano hands of Bill Powell tuned up some old favourites and there were many fine songs sung that night. Fess and Marcy were definitely missed but I did manage to run into Kristopher Parker, Fess's grandson along with his dad, master (Fess Parker Winery) Eli Parker. I couldn't get over this man's size. I stand about 6 feet tall and the man towered over me. Funny thing, it seems that almost all the fellows I meet seem to be taller. maybe I'm just shrinking at an advanced rate. Bill Phelps is one of those guys who at 6'3" looks down on me also. Life is not fair. I don't even have hair----maybe I'll become a poet!
The Sing Along went well and I got the surprise of my life the following morning when Jack Sparrow----not the pirate----phoned me and stated that he was in the hotel lobby for a visit.
I befriended Jack on my first visit in 2006 when I was doing some filming here on a production called "Wine Frontier" based mainly on Fess Parker. Jack managed the wine boutique at the Winery and he and I shared some great stories. It seems that Jack has come out of full retirement and is now working for Fess as well as managing the boutique. He is a great gentleman and a credit to any who know him. I always look forward to seeing Jack and---incidentally----he's also one of those who is much taller than I (and he has hair)!