Name:
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada

Born in Malta but in Canada since age 5. Has written three books and presently does several columns about wine and food for various magazines.

Friday, August 22, 2008

Caledon Equestrian Centre's Classic

I know that what I usually speak about is wine, food and travel and in fact this may come under the travel title however, whether travel or not Equestrian Riding has become a big part of my life. This is not because I ride. Far from it! What I know about horses can fit onto a half page of writing paper. My daughter, Taryn----now that is different.
At 15, she has just finished her divisions second Zone Classic competition. An avid Hunter/Jumper competitor, she achieved Reserve Champion this time around. Her consistency in scores, got her this title today and I was quite happy for her since she was having some self doubts lately. I tell her, like I tell others in any sport that when you hit a plateau, that is when you must keep trying and most gains are made during this period of mental and physical challenge. Funny enough, this competition comes at the heals of Eric Lamaze's magic gold medal win in China. He is an inspiration to all those who have had hard luck and come back. Other athletes have also mentioned that they too have had some hard times in their sport but perseverance won out. Today it was Taryn's turn to see the turn around. It came at a good time!
I enjoy going to Caledon Equestrian in Palgrave for two reasons. I get to meet other parents of other competitor friends of Taryn and also I get a chance to eat the mouth watering food that the little restaurant in the main building puts out. They have the meanest Bacon, Egg, Cheese on a Bun anywhere. I followed that up with a Steak on a Bun. Man, to say it was delicious is to basically say it was just okay-----it was magnificent!!!!
The scenery around Palgave which overlooks the Caledon Hills is breathtaking and one can look over and watch the jumping competitions in the Grand Prix Ring just next to the main building while enjoying the eats. What else could one wish for except that his daughter places well in competition-------and that happened today.
All I would need is a bottle of Jackson-Triggs Proprietor's Grand Reserve Meritage or an Inniskillin Pinot Noir along with all the rest and life would be so happy! You see, I got wine into it somehow!!!! Winemakers Bruce Nicholson (Inniskillin) and Marco Piccoli (Jackson Triggs) would certainly like the venue.