Name:
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada

Born in Malta but in Canada since age 5. Has written three books and presently does several columns about wine and food for various magazines.

Monday, August 11, 2008

Sam Marmorstein's Bernat Syrah Has A New Fan

Tino Fazio is a very discriminating wine drinker. Even with good wines, he'll tease and say,
"What are you trying to do---serving me this!" He does this smiling but you never know what to say and he basically is testing your commitment to this wine.
Today, I went down to visit him and I took with me my most recent discovery, a Bernat Syrah from Los Olivos Cafe. Sam Marmorstein who owns the cafe also owns vineyard acreage consisting of Syrah and Chardonnay. I love his Chardonnay but am over the top with his Syrah. It has everything a wine drinker wants: Concentration, fruit, pepper, integrity and balance. I loved (and still love Fess Parker's Rodney's Vineyard Syrah) but Bernat is high on my new comer's list and challenges even the great Rodney!
Sam gave me a bottle to take home with me and the 2004 (of which there were only 100 cases made) is magnificent. With food such as steak or venison it is a priceless experience. Now for Tino!
Tino made the usual ramblings. "What king of a wine has this guy given me?" I was quite confident but was waiting for him to taste it. Steven the waiter opened up the bottle and then poured.
Tino gave it the usual sniff----and looked up at me while his nose was still embedded in the glass. I read his eyes! He then tasted it! There was no, "What kind of stuff have you made me drink." Tino looked at me and then the waiter. "Give me this and give him the Merlot" was the gratifying response. He loved it.
Ironically, Adam Evans of Charton Hobbs Wine Agents came in while we were about to have the wine with Tino's favourite steak. We gave him a taste and he expressed how good it was.
With the food, it was as I had stated earlier. The wine had won over all who tasted it. Sam Marmorstein, you have a tiger by the tail.