Name:
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada

Born in Malta but in Canada since age 5. Has written three books and presently does several columns about wine and food for various magazines.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Day Nine: Direct From Hadsten House In Solvang, CA: October 13th:A Rainy Day: Lunch At The Los Olivos Cafe, Dinner At Red Barn, Buttonwood Winery

"Adventures In Wine Country" with Co-Hosts Chuck Byers and Greg Rist is a new series airing in April 2010 on CHEX Television Channel 12 Durham and the Greater Toronto Area.

RAINED OUT!
Weather forecasts as a general rule seem to always be wrong---especially when they predict heavy storms on any given day. My experience has always been that it's a 60-40 type of thing. The chances are 60% against them being an accurate prediction. The 13th of October was when the 40% won out. It not only rained, it poured and poured and poured! The only salvation was that we a) did not get it as badly as we were supposed to and b) we didn't live in San Francisco where they got over 12 inches of steady downpour.
The clouds were cloudy and all hopes of doing a production that day fizzled. Greg and I agreed to meet at breakfast and then met around 10:30 AM to do something in the wet mess. The only consolation was that the Santa Ynez Valley and surrounding area were getting much needed rainfall.
Darlene (my wife) had asked me to visit Monty Robert's "Flag is Up Farms" in order to get his latest book on handling horses. Greg and I were also to go and visit Amber Giorgi at her Nojoqui (pronounced: NA-HOE-EE) Ranch. We were to visit the falls not far from the ranch as well as shoot her riding but the rain was making that impossible.
It was off to visit the Monty Robert's farm first where Guilia Orth met us and gave us one of Monty's signed books. We made arrangements to come and film should the rain have ended.
Then it was off to visit Amber.
Our visit lasted about an hour or so and the only thing we could do was to take a "wait and see" policy as to our shooting. Maybe tomorrow would turn out better.
We then went off to visit Los Olivos and the Los Olivos Cafe where I new the sun was shining in the form of a Los Olivos Burger and a great glass of Bernat Syrah. We were not disappointed. I ended up buying some of the Syrah to bring back with me to Canada. Sam Marmostein was always the perfect host and lived up to his "Sideways" reputation of being a fine Wine Merchant.
Sam's Beginings
Maybe it is here that I should tell you about Sam's wine and family history. Sam was a stockbrocker who liked to make wine! His passion for wine eventually inspired him to move to Santa Ynez. He moved to Los Olivos after buying some land. He planted three acres with grape vines (it increased to four acres some time later). He opened the Los Olivos Cafe shortly after and got married in 2000. In 2006 Sam's cafe was used in the movie "Sideways" and the rest is history. Sam lives in Los Olivos with his wife and four children. His Cafe and wine business is doing just great and I find his Syrah among the best I have tasted anywhere.
I have always envied Sam as a person who has it all and presently I am knocking on wood so I do not jinx him! If I could, I would move to this area in a split second!
Next!
We left the Los Olivos Cafe quite full. It was then off to the Hadsten House until dinner time where we had an appointment to visit with Rene Oltman and the Santa Ynez Red Barn.
The Red Barn
I had initially met Renee Oltman in 2007 when I brought my family down in 2007. Renee was away in 2008 when we came down again but I did want to interview her for three reasons. The first was that she was the inspiration of the character of Maya in the movie "Sideways". I was intrigued at meeting someone who inspired a movie and swore that I would interview her on camera some day. The second reason was that the Red Barn made great food and many "movie stars" frequented the place. I would have loved to be there when Bo Derek and/or Cheryl Ladd came in for a visit. Not my luck!!! Finally, Rene Oltman oozed good looks, charm, beauty and intelligence! I could not think of a better person other than she to have in the program!
Greg and I got there around 6:30ish and to my surprise, I was greeted by a very smiling face from the past.
Back in 2006, I had stayed at Fess Parker's Wine Country Inn and Spa. A waitress by the name of Kelly Durbiano was always there to wait at my table. She truly impressed me with her cheerful and positive disposition. She was also very, very pregnant. The father in me came out and so did a lot of advice! "Keep your feet up at least 15 minutes twice a day! Kelly, don't overdo it!" You get the picture. I was a nag! When she had her baby son, I sent her a tiny gift.
You couldn't believe the look on my face when Renee told me that Kelly was working there and had been very excited to learn that I was coming. She even brought her family (Mom, Dad, two children and hubby) and family friend to meet me! The place was packed. Even the owners were there. I know some restaurants in Canada that would kill to have a packed house on a Tuesday night!
Greg interviewed Rene and then went into the kitchen to film the making of our dinner which was "Prime Rib" for me and "Barbecued Ribs" for Greg! The owner of the Buttonwood Winery, Brett Davenport, was on hand to discuss his winery and have an interview. What better wine to have with the meal than a Buttonwood Cabernet Franc.
When the meal came, my Prime Rib was absolutely perfect and so tender and juicy that my fork could easily cut through it. Apparently it was slow cooked for over 16 hours in its own juices. All I could do was to make lovely sounds as I engulfed the large piece of meat. Greg seemed to enjoy his "Ribs" also and the Buttonwood wine went exceptionally well with the meal. It had great concentration and strong blackberry/currant and vanilla flavours that melded with the meat so very well.
I could not eat much more but Greg had some pie that was home made at the Red Barn. It was a delicious evening.
Kelly and I discussed "old" times and she introduced me to her parents and family. Who would have known that a meeting of two minds four years ago would in fact become a friendship that spans time and space. Life is indeed exciting and special.
Greg and I went home satisfied and happy that night. I was especially thrilled and gratified. I met old friends and made new. I spanned time and space. That night I felt invincible. There is indeed a God up there!
End Of Day Nine!