Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada

Born in Malta but in Canada since age 5. Has written three books and presently does several columns about wine and food for various magazines.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Lunenburg Arms, Peggy's Cove, Goodbye To Nova Scotia

Filming At Lunenburg Arms
The morning was the best of the last seven days that we were in Nova Scotia. The Lunenburg sky was deep blue, the air was crystal clear and the ocean was silent calm. In other words it was a perfect day to begin the final adventure in Nova Scotia. I resisted the temptation to remain in the nice, soft, cozy bed and got dressed. I did spend about twenty minutes savouring a coffee from the coffeemaker provided while looking out at the still superb view of Lunenburg harbour.
I was the first down to the outdoor breakfast area. Who could resist that lovely sunshine and the warm temperatures. It was about 9ish and I knew that we had a filming to do with the hotel restaurant called the Tin Fish (where we ate with Christine and her parents the night previous.
The filming was to be a dinner meal type with Atlantic Salmon, shrimp, scallops mussels and vegetable decor. I knew that I this food would be there to eat (and thus be my brunch) but I could not resist the warm sun, a cup of coffee and the fish cakes and eggs for breakfast. After all, it was my last breakfast in Nova Scotia. So-----I had them and enjoyed every scrap!
Not far from me at another table was Jamie Wentzell, V/P of Homburg Group of Companies which owned this establishment and a string of other resorts (including a very interesting one in Tanzania) as well as a host of other businesses. He was also the Chief Financial Officer of the company. What a heck of a responsibility for one so young I thought. I introduced my self and we had a very interesting chat. I look forward to talking to him again at some point.
The breakfast went well. The dinner type (filming) went equally well and I still managed to get a great amount of the food down---glutton that I am----before we departed from the hotel.
Misty who was the chef (and a rather attractive chef at that) had already proven her culinary skills the night before treating the group to one of the finest meals around. She did it again with this meal and of course, neither Greg nor I left much behind---matter of fact, Greg took some with him on the trip to Peggy's Cove. My congrats went out to manager Patti and the hotel staff!
Peggy's Cove
Peggy's Cove is actually a small fishing village that has an enormously gorgeous amount of scenery. The view of several buildings against a backdrop of smoothed boulders and rock against the Atlantic Ocean is truly amazing. The sunny day and calm sea made it even more spectacular.
Christine parked the van and we all walked towards the rocks and the Lighthouse in the distance. Christine's father had mentioned, the other night, that it needed painting and that crossed my mind when we came up to it although it still looked okay. I thought to myself that the winters and waves must be enormously rough on this comparatively small building and by next year it would really need a shot of colour.
One thing that really struck me was the way the rocks were configured. This reminded me very much of an A J Casson (Group of 7) painting. The other thing that I thought of was the Swiss Air disaster for which there was a memorial display as we drove up to the Cove.
On the rocks there were safe areas and unsafe areas. Signs warning against rogue waves were quite explicit. "Don't become a statistic!"
The ordinary coloured rocks i.e. shades of grey were considered safe. The dark rocks and even darker rocks were very dangerous----even in calm seas such as it was that day. Greg decided to set up his camera stand----on the dark rocks and moved towards the edge of the darker rocks. Christine was becoming very anxious as she watched him as he calmly started taking shots with his camera. I knew what she was worried about. The sea though unusually calm would erupt with one huge wave which could enshroud Greg and his camera in a mass of water and carry him out to sea! It could happen right then in a split second. Greg took his pictures. Walked a bit more. He then took some more pictures as if he were filming a quiet scene in a meadow before coming back to the safe zone. Fortunately, he came out okay and Neptune was kind to him.
We took some photo shots near the Lighthouse and then decided to depart for Halifax and the airport.
We arrived in Halifax in plenty of time to visit Christine Whites place of work and meet her supervisor. Pam Wambaugh happened to be there to our great delight. Pam, even for the short period of time she worked with Greg and me was a joy to be with. I quite like her and look forward to keeping in touch. We said our good byes and gave our final hugs before departing to Halifax International Airport.
Good-Bye Christine and Halifax
When you work with someone so closely for a period of time (and a week can be quite intense) you leave something with that person and that person leaves something with you in return. Christine was a truly inspiring and amazing person to work with. What made it even more unbelievable was that Christine did not normally go out with groups like this.
All that Greg and I can say is that she is a born natural! Her interpretative genius showed in many of the alternates that she picked once she "read" where Greg and I were coming from.
Christine used her amazing sense of humour to keep the group on track yet she never deviated from her professionalism. In general, Christine made the journey a success and made sure that her mandate with "Taste of Nova Scotia" clients was kept to the forefront.
Christine did leave a great part of herself with both Greg and me as I hope we with her but I think that we got the better part of the deal!
Her employer is truly fortunate to have her!
Our plane took off on time at 6:30pm and we arrived in good old but rainy Toronto at around 7:30 PM ish.